Monday, June 15, 2015

“I Think I’m Ready!”

Grandpa Glen leaned back on the park bench as he put his arm around Kevin’s shoulder. 
“Let me tell you something, Kevin,” Grandpa Glen sighed.  “Too many people have given up on the American Dream.  But my brothers and went to war, fighting long and hard for that American Dream.  Today, just as ever, is full of abundance and opportunity.  It never actually left; people just started ignoring it.” 

Kevin looked up quizzically. 

“See here Kevin, there are two main camps of people.  There is a very fine line between the two, but the differences are huge!  It’s interesting how the little things set the big things so far apart.  It all boils down to one’s thinking.  Simple as that!”

“But doesn’t everyone think, Grandpa?” 

“Ah, yes.  But it’s what everyone thinks about that’s the difference.”  Grandpa Glen had a big grin on his face now as he was beginning to warm up.  “We all start with pretty limited thinking and it can be hard work to get better at it.  Henry Ford simply pointed out why so few seem to think well, he said it is some of the hardest work there is.  Which usually makes it the best paid as well.  So it’s no wonder that the man with an hourly wage, who is told what to think, is paid the least.  He’s dependent on the thinking of his boss, and that man’s boss, and then that man’s boss until you reach the owner and impetus of the whole human machine.  The employee is a dependent and is told to think hourly for his just compensation. 

“And then the ones who don’t like to be dependent come along and set off for their independence.  They’re confident, head-strong, and cocky.  They think one task at a time.  Their motto is something like, ‘If you want a job done right then do it yourself.’”

“Kinda like Jimmy?” Kevin asked. 

“Kind of like Jimmy, but your older brother has the potential in him for taking it to the next level.  You see, being independent is well and good, but the true power, fulfillment, and world-changing impact come with interdependence.  When you have friends who share in the fight with you.  If nothing else, this was the biggest lesson I learned in the military.  Where one of us couldn’t withstand, a brother-in-arms was always there to carry some of the load.  There’s almost nothing you can’t do with a tight-knit band of brothers or sisters wrestling for excellent results!” 

“Is that why you always get sad when you talk about your friends and business partners?”

“They were like family to me.  You see, we rarely spent our time.  Every second of it was an investment.  With those men, and their wives, we learned to think for the long haul, to curb our wants; and ultimately leveraged the eighth wonder of the world, compound interest, in every aspect of our lives.”

“What’s car-pond interest?” 

Grandpa Glen chuckled softly, “No.  Com-pound interest.  Sit down with your mother sometime and work out this little exercise.  Start day one with a single penny, then for each day double it and see where you end up after a month.”  He prompted further, “Your first day is a single penny, your next day is two, the third is four, the fourth day you would have eight pennies, and so on.  Some people, if presented the option, often say they’d prefer to receive a million dollars on day one instead of a meager penny that doubles every day for a month.  Work out the math and see which one you’d like.” 

“Oh, ok!  I like working out problems and finding the solutions with mom and dad.  Dad says he used to do that with you when he started growing tall like I am.  But, why were you talking about solutions last night with mom and dad?” 

“That’s because we have an interdependent relationship.  And he understands I’ve had success, failures, experiences, and more time on this earth than him.  Just like how I ask you how to use this crazy new phone of mine.  I know if I get help from you it’ll be much faster and considerably less painful for me than to try and figure it all out on my own!”

“Haha, yeah, that’s the truth, Grandpa!  I sure enjoy helping you out though, even though I think it’s silly sometimes how bad you are at getting the hang of it.” 

“Yes, my boy!  Isn’t that the truth.”

They both stretched out over the park bench, staring off into the woods across the fields, drifting deep into thought. 

“I’ve been trying to make sense of this interdependent thing you, my dad, and mom keep talking about, but how do relationships make you a living?  I mean, I have some pretty good friends, but I never get paid for having them.” 

Grandpa Glen smiled broadly at the brilliance of budding youth.  “That’s a bunch of old guy business talk that’s probably no fun to such a free-spirited youth like yourself!” 

“No, Grandpa, really.  I know someday I’ll have to make a living, lead some people, and have kids just as smart as me, because I have a mission I’m going to detect and get excited about and all that stuff.  Just like you and mom and dad.”

“Well!  Put like that I suppose it does call for an opinion on the matter, now doesn’t it?  Let’s see.  Simply put, it’s the interdependent friendships you invest in over your lifetime that are then applied to the mission you detect.  See, it’s not the business you pick as much as it is the mission you detect and then the business you build with your interdependent friends around your joint missions.  Your living comes from your business, which is built with your friends, based around your missions.  Does that make sense?  You’re not actually paid for simply having friends, but you are paid for the impact your community will have on the world.” 

Grandpa Glen looked over at Kevin, pondering. 

“You’re getting that look Grandpa, I think I’m ready for it now.  Mom says I don’t need to study as much as Jimmy does yet, but I think I’m ready for what you’ve got!” 

Grandpa Glen raised his eyebrows, a little taken back, “And what exactly are you ready for, Kevin?” 
“Your mentoring assignment!  Whenever you get that soul-searching look there’s static in the air with excitement then you give some great and challenging assignment to somebody.  Well, I think I’m ready!” 

Grandpa laughed. 

“Maybe I should just give it to your mom and she can pass it on when she thinks you’re ready for it.  Because it is great and challenging, and when you are ready for it I think it will be very inspiring, give you a lot of direction, answer a bunch of your questions, as well as help you ask the right questions.” 

“Come on Grandpa!  I really do think I’m ready.  And if it’s too hard for me, then I’ll sit down and talk it over with Mom and Dad.” 

“Ok, I like that proposition.  So, the assignment…yes…what were we talking about?” 

“Grandpa” Kevin smiled, beaming with excitement for his first assignment from Grandpa Glen.  “How I’m going to make a living with my friends by living our missions.”

“Ah, yes!  It’s simple really.  We’ll start by reading a few key books.”

“Come on!  Let’s head home and tell Mom and Dad about it!  I hope we have all the books so I can get started on them!” 

Kevin excitedly led him home at a brisk walk. 


Grandpa Glen’s recommended reading list:

1) Thomas Jefferson Education for Teens by Oliver DeMille and Shanon Brooks
2) Financial Fitness for Teens by LIFE Leadership

3) The Cashflow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki

Ian Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment